Tuesday 13 August 2013

Mont St. Anne World Cup

The World Cup in Mont St. Anne is always one of my favourites. It is also a special race for me. St. Anne was where I did my first World Cup ever. Placing a respectable 6th. It was also my first time racing against any other country and first time running someone over (he simply flipped over in front of me and I rode over his bike). This year, however, things were a little different.



The difference between where I was in 2012 at Mont St. Anne competing in my first World Cup, to where I am now as an athlete, both mentally and physically, has changed drastically. I am stronger this year, more focused, more disciplined; but that's not all. Mentally I have felt I have made leaps and bounds. I still get nervous, but not like I used to. I can control myself now, focus and execute what needs to be done. In the wise worlds of Dan Proulx, National Mountain Bike Coach: 
One does not try to be extraordinary; One must simply be ordinary. An ordinary performance can prove to be extraordinary.
The reason why is simple. If you try too hard, get too excited, push too hard too early, your overall performance is not going to be grand. But! If you have a normal race like any other day, you will have an ordinary race and an ordinary race can prove extraordinary results! For myself this was a key mentality. This mentality keeps me from getting stressed mid-race, keeps me out of crashes, and keeps my bike safe from mechanicals. It's what prevents me from pulling out of my pedal off the start (XCE Val di Sole). It prevents me from ripping my tire off my rim (Worlds 2012). It prevents me from getting nervous. Why would you get nervous for something that you've done ten thousand other times? It's a start, a race, a finish - know your cards, know your body, know your competition and know that you've done it before. And that's what I did...



The Mont St. Anne World Cup was a huge highlight in my cycling career last year and proved to be an even bigger highlight this year. Off the start I was calm. My work was cut out for me but I was prepared. Team Canada's support, Angry Johnny's support, Norco's support and my family's support had all come together for a solid 1 hour and 9 minutes. Winning my first World Cup was surreal. Leading off the start was scary. I had to suppress every thought of winning. I didn't want to jinx it, didn't want to get worked up and I didn't want to disappoint myself. Focus - that was all. Crossing the line knowing that I had done it, we had done it, it was a good feeling. On one of my favourite courses of all time - even if Beatrice wasn't in it this year - I had pulled it off. My first World Cup win! 


The celebration lasted for about 25 minutes in my head and ended almost immediately when someone mentioned worlds. Worlds... What could I pull off at worlds? How could I do at worlds? Quickly billions of questions popped into my head which I quickly suppressed in order to not get nervous. The thoughts were swirling but I chose to ignore them for the time being. But now preparations have begun for the World Championships in Pietermaritzberg, South Africa. Physical tuning and equipment checks are being done, but mental preparation has also started, as I am beginning to learn it is fundamental to performance. The game has begun!

If you wish to assist me on my way to South Africa please swing by Hardwood Ski and Bike Wednesday August 9th to purchase some Chips and Dip that have been donated from Garden Fresh and Chris Wong! 

If you are not able to make it out for that, please visit my website at www.pwrper.com/peter. There you can find more blogs, results, videos, articles and a PayPal account I have set up for generous people like yourself! Thank you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment