Sunday 28 July 2013

Road Provincials

Fantastic day at the 2013 Road Provincials. The sun was shining, the wind was blowing and the racers were revving. The day was simple: start, go hard, see what happens and try to win. This is my approach to all road races. 
The race started off simply with an attack here and there. Nothing too major came until 2nd lap out of 8 on a 12km loop. Break away here and there, pull them back, go off, get pulled back; it was a regular day. Nearing the middle of the race 3 riders were able to get away. Seeing the wind was blowing and the climb on the lap was quite tough I had decided to let them go. Then another two riders went out to chase. It wasn't until half a lap later that I had decided to go after them. Taking two riders with me, who I also ended up sharing the podium with, we started our long trek up to the front. I believe it was a lap and a half until we made up the time to the lead group. There we decided to work and make our break stick. The next time split we got was 1 minute, 20 seconds. Things were looking up for us. Nearing the end of the race, however, I was getting nervous as Miles Eastwood of CHCH was sitting in and saving energy. On the last climb I set the pace and waited for Miles to make his move. When the move came I was ready. I sat on his wheel cresting the climb and let him pull in the wind. Rounding the last turn to the finish we found ourselves in a tail wind. This was perfect to attack! Kicking hard out of the turn I got a good gap. Slowly dying as I crested the final climb into the finish I was super happy it was over!
Provincial Champion! Woot!
Thanks to Team CDC and Barrie Cycling for all the support.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment