Saturday 8 September 2012

World Championships - The Race.....

I have always been told by my family and friends to never say sorry after a race. My girlfriend says she hates it when athletes apologise, they have already done so much...
Well sorry but I'm sorry...If you don't like me apologising then view it this way; I'm sorry to myself. The person I let down the most is myself. I was there! I could do it! I was physically prepared. I was mentally prepared for the 150% start. And then it happened...

The morning started at 5:45am. Up for breakfast. Then shower, chill about, listen to music, get dressed and head out in the 10 degree weather. Arriving at the tent we got out chips and headed out on a warm up. Ripped a lap of the start loop and then did some tempo on the road. We proceeded to get in the pens. After being called up and squeezing/fighting your way closer to the front, I had the ideal start position, two rows back, left. This was it.
All the people that had helped to get me here went through my head in a flash of nerves. Music. Crowds. I was numb. 15 seconds... "This is it baby!" I remember saying... BANG, and we were off. Zero to 40km/h in 30 feet. Insanity. Every time you heard brakes of gravel flying I cringed. It was a mad swarm, turning and flowing, everyone fighting for position. And then it happened, I heard 'him' hit the fence. 'He' went down and the whole pack went down. The sound of carbon, shoes and helmets on the pavement is something I will not forget. The only lane that made it out was my lane. I was lucky, but not safe. Even though no one went down in front of me I had a Scott bike hurled though the air towards me. Flipping and flipping until it took out the rider in front of me. I made it through, fazed, but quickly refocused. "Full gas. Full gas. I can do this." The start loop went quick and well.
Lap 1: Fast. Don't let up. This is Europe. Don't let up. Push yourself beyond your limits, block people to hold your position and keep it smooth. I was near the top 30 after lap 1.
Lap 2: Same thing, don't settle in, just blow your brains out. Now in the top 30.
Lap 3: First climb, really feeling it. Tasting blood, but keep going, push yourself. Made my way up to 25th at one point, but that didn't last long. And then it happened...Maple Syrup Falls. Steep, rooty, slippery and slightly scary. I fell on it first lap and second lap didn't feel it. I was going to drop my foot and rip it this time. all went to plan and the front tire found the groove. I leaned in to rip the turn, and apparently it just wasn't meant to be. I ripped the tire right off the rim... Remaining surprisingly calm I grabbed my Big Air. Screwed in my regulator. No sound... It wouldn't puncture. It wouldn't puncture! No! No! Now I freaked. All I wanted was a smooth race, no flats, no mechanicals and no injuries. This moment was a moment of utter disappointment, sadness and awe. No time for moping, RUN! And I ran. Nobody was making it past me without working for it. I was going to hold as much of my top 30 as I could. I ran the entire downhill. Just booking it. My tire had come off the rim, my rim banging against the rocks; another sound I will not soon forget. After getting a new wheel on and setting off in probably 80th. I was going to fight, fight for 79th, 78th, 77th...I was going to.
I quickly made my way up, making up positions. Working hard. Coming passed the feedzone again I made a gnarly pass! Took the guy on the inside, force him out. Aww yea. I quickly sprinted my way up to speed and then took a drink. And then it happened...One hand on the bar, drinking, and another really aggressive rider.. He bumped my bars as he went past. This sent me flying! I slid across the gravel on my side and back. Quickly I got up, swearing and bleeding. I was going to kill him.
Lap 4: Chasing this guy, I caught him and as I passed he made no motion to block. Right as I got in front he said he was sorry. I couldn't be mad. I decked him the turn before too. It's racing...
Unfortunately between flatting and fatigue, pain and injuries and constantly trying to refocus, I lost too much time. I got pulled. 1 Lap Down... Really a huge disappointment for me. I could've stayed up there. I could've done one more lap... Could've, would've, should've...DIDN'T...I'm Sorry.
Lap 5: Non Existent...

Overall, great first 3 laps! I got where I needed to be, I was still able to see the front in the start, I was there. A few crashes, I was not impressed with my technical riding, stupid mistakes. But I made it here. I'm in Austria. I just did a race with over 100 juniors in it! I survived the start crash!

I finished 73rd - 1 lap down.

2 comments:

  1. Hey it's out of your hands when it is a mechanical! You gave it hell for sure! Look around man, you're in Austria doing what you love, enjoy it and take it all in. We feel your pain but what a time you must be having, all too soon it will be back to reality!

    Jonathan & Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so awesome to hear that you're at such a high level! You definitely deserve it! As for your results; don't sweat the small stuff man. There's always the next race. Just take the positives out from it and keep on hammerin!

    Keep the rubber side down!

    ReplyDelete